Saturday, June 23, 2007

Purple

Every child is an artist. The problem is how
to remain an artist once he grows up.
- Pablo Picasso

In first grade, Mr. Lohr said my purple tepee wasn't realistic enough, that purple was no color for a tent, that purple was a color for people who died, that my drawing wasn't good enough to hang with the others. I walked back to my seat counting the swish swish of my baggy corduroy trousers. With a black crayon, nightfall came to my purple tent in the middle of an afternoon.

In second grade, Mr. Barta said, "Draw anything." He didn't care what. I left my paper blank and when he came around to my desk, my heart beat like a tom-tom while he touched my head with his big hand and in a soft voice said, "The snowfall. How clean and white and beautiful."
Author Unknown

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I really like this quote. When I read it I thought it was an account of your time in Massachusetts.