Monday, February 14, 2011

the littlest bits that make up life

xoxo;
We love because He first loved us.
1 John 4:19

Biggest regret on this year's 14th day of February? I'm no longer in elementary school collecting my little valentine's day cards in my handmade mailbox made for that specific purpose. I'm no longer laboring over a handful of valentines, making sure I spelled V-A-L-E-N-T-I-N-E correctly and that the candy is taped on the card at the perfect angle. There's no candy necklace around my neck to sneakily eat a little piece of it every five minutes. But the thing I miss most is not the candy or the cards. I miss being that carefree young girl who only knew love as the only thing it's meant to be: pure, true, and honest.

"Those were the days" makes me feel anciently old, like I'm hitting the age of 40. But truly, those were the days. Turning 17 this year makes me feel so old, and I catch myself often thinking about my good old childhood days. I'd do anything if I could relive them again. The times when I would bike around my backyard with the sister, draw our dream house on the driveway with a box full of chalk, chew on sweet grass, and talk to our imaginary sisters. The times when we'd go out and play in the snow for hours, sledding and making igloos, like there wasn't a care in the world.

My little word of advice to you is to treasure every moment you have now, because tomorrow you'll be a day older. Don't want to grow up. Instead, want to remain young. And learn to have the heart of a child once again. Learn to be thankful for the little things that makes life special. Learn to be carefree and trust your heavenly Father to care for you, just like when you were eight you trusted your parents to protect you. Learn to be so taken by the small bits of life. And always ask questions.

My biggest regret on February 14th, 2011? That I've grown up. That we've all grown up. That we overlooked the little bits that make life great. That we've lost the heart of a child. And that, maybe, just sometimes, we twist up the meaning of love. We make it way more complicated then it was meant to be. Because, simply, love is loving because He first loved. Period.

Happy Valentine's Day. :)

No comments: