Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The world in the 21 century

Matthew 5.. Again, you have heard that is was said...
Yes, I'm working on memorizing it so chill.

Yea, so I was memorizing a Bible verse when my mind went astray..
and I flipped to the interesting facts at the back of the Bible.
This is a World Vision Bible so it's different.

Came across this section of facts about how the world will be like in the 21 century. It was rather interesting. It talked about Religion, wealth, poverty, access to water and food, health, Aids, Education, literacy, and finally...

The Gender Gap
It hit me like that. Just by reading the title, I knew what it was all about. How woman are treated unfairly. Just a few facts and not made up stories..

In woman's life expectancy it is 100% percent where else men are a twint behind. So yea for woman! =D
In primary school enrollment, only 80% of the woman get to go where else for men, almost 98% go. Same goes for secondary school, woman only have a percentage of 70%. (this is the percent for the whole world)
And for the involvement in government, there's less than 20%.

Two facts that hit me the hardest..
Woman work 2 out of every 3 of the world's total working hours.
About 1 of every 3 girls worldwide is not educated past 4th grade.
Woman earn less than 10% of the world's income!!


And it goes on..
I mean, how sad is that?
So many people of our own gender (I'm talking to the girls here) are suffering across the entire world. If you read this, your already so blessed. You have Internet! This is not all! All the other subjects listed above like access to food and water are already so saddening. Every 15 second a child dies from a water related disease because they have no access to clean water. Imagine.. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6..
15-and a child just died.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9...
15-there goes another.
ooh poverty. This world is suffering and we are the ones who can help because we are blessed. Must I repeat? I'm being honest here. Probably 50% or more of you will read this, feel convicted, and then do nothing about it. It's our natural human instinct. It's mine too. But common you guys, we can do something. And if you really don't know how to help, ask me personally.

Finally, I'll end with a verse..
When you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done is secret, will reward you.

Let's impact this world for Christ. Let's make this world a better place for the coming centuries.

No comments: