Wednesday, May 7, 2008

bruning coals upon my head

I slapped you on the cheek, but you turned around and let me slap the other. You overcome evil with good, making my fault obvious to all.
--
One day, my third grade teacher posted a stick figure of a boy on the white board. We were then asked to bully it. We all lined up, threw sponges full of water at him, scribbled at him, shouted at "him". Literally, bullied him.

After we were satisfied, she walked up to the board, and took off the torn and wet picture. Underneath, there was a picture of Jesus. He was ruined as well, wet and scribbled all over. You could see the wound that you yourself had made. I remember her telling the class the meaning of this activity, and then saying, "Even hazel did it," as if I were a perfect person.

But no, indeed I am not.

You know, it took a long time to get that message my teacher taught me into my head. Ever since I was a 9 year old till now, a 14 year old. And every message I hear takes time to sink in. You only fully get it when you experience it.

Let's just say, this time I got the easy way. Which is something I should be grateful about. To think, I hurt a real human boy. Not just a stick figure. And.. I hurt Jesus. A relief that I wasn't the stick fellow, but I was the bully.

So here's the post about all about my misdoings. I'm a terrible sinner.

You were called "the most annoying boy I ever knew". I complained that you always like to disturb me. I whacked you, yes seriously. I think your the first boy I ever whacked. I scolded you, complained, talked behind your back, and called you names.

And all you did was return it with good.
Romans 12:17;21-22:
Do not repay anyone evil for evil.. On the contrary:
"If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head."
Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
I don't know whether you even know about this verse, but who cares, you put it into action. I'm sure I wasn't considered an enemy, well I hope not, but you still returned my evil with good.

Yes, and in returning good, you've made my fault obvious for all to see. That's what the burning coals on his head means. In olden days, giving coals to others was an act of kindness. But on someone's head? That's a little weird. What the scriptures really mean is you're doing kindness as a get back. You're overcoming it, with good.

I'm sorry. I now appreciate your little acts of kindness. So many times, I thought you had so much more to learn in life. Now I realize that I do too. We're only learning together, step-by-step.

There's a Jesus inside each and everyone of us. When you hurt someone, you're hurting Jesus as well. Don't ever forget that.

You've been a great friend, Gilbert. I love you.

No comments: