Friday, September 10, 2010

philosophy of the week


You serve God when you feel like it,


You serve Him when you don't feel like it,


And you serve Him until you feel like it.


My week of school holidays have been absolutely amazing. I thought I'll be at home 24/7 but it turns out that God had different plans. ;) Time for a proper update and get ready to hear how amazing life can be when you serve Him. I'm not just saying that because I know that and its like, Bible or head knowledge, but it really is true.

Basically Monday and Tuesday were home-alone days when I tried to study and succeeded. :D Haha. Did lots of house chores, you have no idea what needs to be done when you're lazing at home and your eye catches something. And then, of course, being the perfectionist that I am, I won't feel comfortable until its done. Hehh.

Wednesday, did a LPT, and then headed off to the workshop thingy at MACEE. Bumped into Kat, sat beside her, and then in the middle I saw all the latecomers - Saphy, Jo, and Josh. It was good, made me aware of a few more details I should look out as I continue this tedious job of looking for colleges.

Anyway, I think I only labeled this week as "amazing" because of yesterday. Last day at home alone, so I took it seriously and enjoyed the peace and quiet. To be honest with you, I love staying home alone. I talk to God practically the whole day, outloud. It helps. Cause its like, you're actually talking to someone. And you can tell him the most random things. Did you know He's random too? :)

Back to my Thursday, I set up my computer speakers right near the couch, grabbed my Bible and notebook, got comfy and listened to TWO sermons. Crazy good. That's when I heard the phrase I put above. Both sermons were on a series about worship, and I have never looked at worship that way before.

The simplest definition of Biblical worship is this:
Drawing near, bending down, and giving honor.

And according to Colossians 3:17, worship is simply whatever. As in, whatever. The way you would say whatever to your friend when they ask you what you want to do tomorrow. Or whatever you're gonna do when you get home from school.

Hebrews 12:28-29 says,
Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our God is a consuming fire.

I've never seen such simple guidelines. Simply, with reverence and awe. How many times do we lose our reverence and awe of God's holiness? It says in Nehemiah that when the Word of God was read, the people stood up. We take of our hats, stand tall, and put our hand to our heart when the national anthem is played. In the same way, we should have such a culture of honor for God.

Reverence is the appropriate response of behavior in the face of greatness.

Awe is the appropriate attitude and the internal engagement in the face of greatness.

That's all it takes, to worship God.

I highly encourage you to go listen to Paster Jeff's sermons yourself. It's like, wow. Click here to listen to Why Do We Do That? and here to listen to In the Face of Greatness. I guarantee you, you won't regret it. Why do we always have to time to download movies and songs, watch funny videos on YouTube, but not have to time to hear God's Word? Honestly, something's not right there.


Today, I had to apply that serving-God-when-you-don't-feel-like-it concept. I was doing my morning devotions when I got a call from my dear Sarah asking me to go for this prayer meeting that Elaine and the Taman SEA people arranged. I said, okay I'll try to come, and put down the phone with no intension of going. I texted her 10 minutes later saying I wouldn't be going. She, on the other hand, started praying that I'll hear a little voice in my head telling me to go. She also told Bee to call me and try to convince me.

I got into the shower, all the while praying and spending time with my best friend. I was changing when I heard God speak. It was not clear or audible, but it was a definite urging to GO! I was like, "God are you crazy, it's 11am (the prayer meeting starts at 12), it's way too last minute, my parents will highly doubtfully let me go, so I'm not going." He answered telling me that there was a difference in saying "NO" to events that would only give ME pleasure and saying "NO" to events that meant glorifying God. I told him, "Yea I know that, I'll do that from now on, but not today."

Very clearly, "You can't compromise with God."

"Yea, God, I know that!"

And thennn, my phone rang. It was Bee.

God's timing is perfect, I tell you. It was like, true confirmation that I was suppose to go.

To my surprise, my parents immediately said yes without even wanting any details. Whoa.

&well, for the record, it wasn't even a prayer meeting because only 7 of us showed up, but we had a very deep and encouraging talk. Got to know the Taman SEA people much better, which is definitely thumbs up. Had lots of fun, laughing and chatting, because well, everyone loves Bee. :) Bonding with a group of strong Christian friends, talking about problems in our lives, getting encouraged - that's what can refresh your soul like *snaps finger* that.

I feel good, cause today was a good day. (In deep contrast to my last Friday, which was terrible.) I came back home, and I said to myself, "I actually went. Wow. I thought it'll be impossible." And listening to God, nothing can beat that.

Never lose sight of how amazing the God you serve is. Don't even lose the reverence and awe you should have for Him. And never ever forget, he answers prayers. But most importantly, when there's a will, there's a way.

Vouloir, c'est pouvoir.

1 comment:

uleung said...

hey hazel, you have your own website???
i see that your post are really worth while reading.

and yup, when there's a will there's a way
especially when its God's will =P
He'll make a way.

i didn't know your attendance to that meeting was such a miraculous event. its good to know that you not only hear Him, but also listen to Him.

so yup, keep on obeying Him, and He'll reveal much more greater stuff to you.

Have a nice day.