Tuesday, June 14, 2011

greetings, random thoughts.

I've formed the conclusion that the only consequences of having too much time at home with no school work to do are the following: number one, you get lazy and fail to accomplish the little (but big amounts of) things you need to do, and number two, you think too much.

The later is more like the consequence I personally face. Because, being me, I can't be idle for too long without feeling guilty. But, thinking?! I mean, you can do that while you're going through your stuff, while you're absently surfing the net, while you're sewing or doing art projects, while you're cleaning the house, while you're at work watching children do their tuition compositions... (and yes, I did all that.) Anyway, here goes to my random accumulated thoughts.

While substituting for a tuition teacher, I was contemplating on how people can so easily indirectly influence you by subtle ways. It's scary to see how transparent someone's values are, and how easily s/he can push them upon others. It's amazing how much you can read about one's character by just the way s/he carries herself/himself, or the way s/he talks, behaves, and interacts.

While heading home, I realized how easily one compromises his/her values just to "keep the peace". Someone swears, and you let it pass even if it's completely against your values to swear. Someone shares his/her belief and you pleasantly ignore it instead of speaking up and telling him/her you believe contrary. They say ignorance is bliss, but it's more like the best way to easily escape doing the right thing. And many times, we resort to it.

While watching a soccer game, my brain randomly wandered to the difference between dreams and plans. Often we make dreams our plans, which is ridiculous. Because while it's okay to dream, planning is up to the Lord. In reference to this point, I'll refer back to an earlier post, which can be read here.

While slowing narrowing down my list of things to do, it dawned on me how very fast time is passing. Before the blink of an eye, I'll be packing, leaving for Maine, spending some quality time with all my childhood friends, and then orientation down in Boone, North Carolina before the first day of class. :) Today marks precisely 44 days before I leave. A simple reminder to treasure every second I have left with my beloved family and friends on this side of the world.

While composing this blog post, my mind is swarming with a mixture of jumbled thoughts, questions, and observations.  Maybe I should be rediscovering who I truly am, define that strong set of values I believe I possess, and once again find my identity in God's sight. And maybe, after all, thinking isn't much of a consequence.

No comments: