Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Oh The Life of a Walker

I'm pretty sure I've covered at least 10 miles in the last 14 hours. And I'm not exaggerating. (It is an estimation though. I need to get one of those things to attach to my Nikes and see how far I've walked/ran.) But honestly, the campus is huge and I've walked around it, through it, under tunnels, over hills, left, right, and center. Again, I stop to state how amazingly fast time flies and tonight marks my fourth night in North Carolina and my third on campus.

Let's start where we left off. The last you've heard of me on this pretty badly updated blog I was in beautiful Maine visiting the Way Way Store. Well I concluded my time in Maine riding ponies, visiting the beach, swimming in the pool, playing bubbles with Ian, eating s'mores by the campfire, playing hide-and-seek with Ian and his walkie-talkies, sleeping over at Becca's, going shopping, and the list continues.

Ian and his amazingly cool bubble-blowing device
which he also got for free at Andy's Agway.
Gotta love that place - he keeps getting free stuff there!

Eating a s'more while making another.
Gotta learn how to multitask in this century.
(Sorry to point out, but my sister is a terrible photographer.
I mean seriously, she has no sense of focal point.)

If I'm not mistaken, that's Stoney and Ginger in the pasture.

Taking pictures of the P's driveway for a little graphic designing
project Mrs P gave me. I was pretty happy with the end result.

Me, Jackie, and Becca at Old Orchard Beach. That place
has changed so much. Busy busy.

On Sunday the 14th, I flew down to Charlotte on a very manageable journey that only lasted about 5 hours. No bumps whatsoever, and I arrived in one piece with all my expensive baggage in three pieces. (Because there were three bags, not because it broke into three.) Got to the hotel in Charlotte and spent an enjoyable time talking to many nationalities and the friendly INTAPP people. Went to downtown Charlotte and spent a boring time exploring the streets. Literally. Came across this sign that I just couldn't resist taking a picture of:

First thought: Sarah Ti

Arrived at Appalachian State University on Monday and there began the week-long of orientations that still isn't over. They've given me a tour of the campus two times already, and I'm probably taking another tour tomorrow. I think I'm gonna be losing weight instead of gaining any. Everyone here is so fit and active because of all the walking around campus and the many outdoor activities. The food is amazing though so I'm trying to eat more than I walk. It's pretty expensive but currently I have free meals as an international so I'm taking full advantage of that!

Gabriela from Brazil. Such a sweet girl. :)

Ruby from Malaysia as well, in front of
I-forgot-his-name bear in the Belk Library.

Tonight in particular, I had an amazing experience out on the Duck Pond field Contra Dancing (which is kinda like country folk dancing, I think) as well as juggling a soccer ball around with some of the guys. That proved interesting because I played barefooted and all the rest had sneakers on.. and I kept up. :)

This talented band led us through some really fun and
exhausting dances. I couldn't even pause for a moment.

It's 11:30pm and I am dead from all the walking, dancing, kicking, etc. I have freshman orientation all day long tomorrow, so I'm hitting the sack. I'll keep you wonderful friends in Malaysia updated as often as I can, and I would love to skype with y'all whenever I have the free time.

No comments: