Tuesday, September 18, 2012

God was into Building Science.. too.

Every day, after attending all my classes for that particular day, I come back and kinda fall into this semi-conscious state which I'll entitle as: the state of shock when you actually realize you're learning a lot from college.

I mean, it is so true. I went through elementary, middle (partly), and high school learning a lot of stuff mentally, emotionally, and spiritually but it wasn't like it dawned on me everyday how much I had learned in that one day. But after just one day of college, each day, whether it was 4 classes that day or only one class, I come back and I'm like, "Wow my knowledge has just increased!"

So I've formed a conclusion why my earlier education didn't seem as educational as college is. Basically, throughout my 10 years or so of earlier education, I learned exactly the same thing each year, just in more advanced levels as I progressed. Math, Science, English, History, Reading, Writing... Math, Science, English.. the cycle continues.

But here, in college, I'm learning completely different skills. I mean, think about it, when was the last time you were taught to draw? Possibly when you were four. And I've never been taught about how a building is built, how to draw out floor and elevation plans, how to draw in perspective, how to present your design to your client, and stuff like that. I mean, some of those skills come naturally to some of us - just like how some people just know how to write. Doesn't mean if you know how to write, you get to skip English class.

I guess the point I'm getting to is that this college education that I'm getting, it's actually working.

So in class today, we were learning about foundations. And my professor was talking about building on rock, or sand, or silt, or clay. And he said, "So if you build on rock, you know your foundation and building is not going to sink. It ain't going nowhere."

Immediately the parable Jesus tells us about the house on rock and the house on sand popped into my mind:

The Wise and Foolish Builders

“Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”

Matthew 7:24-27

These are one of the times when I wish I knew Greek. Cause then I would actually be able to research and find out if Jesus really said "sand." Cause I learned today that sand really isn't bad of a foundation. Not as great as rock, obviously, but still pretty solid. However, maybe in the original language, Jesus said silt, or clay, or soil instead. And perhaps the translators just weren't building science majors.

But that really isn't the point. The point, that dawned on me, was that:


God was into building science too!


Which really isn't super surprising but I guess I never really thought about it that way. Obviously he was into building science! He created the whole world. He's the best architecture, general contractor, interior designer, landscape architecture, mason, electrician, and all others professions related!

It looks like I have some high standards to live up to. But I don't really see it that way. The fact is, I'm not trying to compete with God and become better than Him, instead the greatest interior designer of all times is going to be helping me and we're going to be business partners working together for the glory of the Creator! And that business contract is the best I've ever heard of. :)

No comments: