Monday, June 27, 2011

Gold Cup, U-17 WC, WWC

So with the European season for football (as they call it) over, you might think I have a lack of games to watch and entertain myself with, but that was not the case. The last couple of weeks and the weeks to come, there's been so many important international cups and tournaments, I am happy. :)


Firstly, the Gold Cup which just ended last Sunday. After a difficult set of games in the group play, USA pulled through - as they always do - beat Jamaica in the quarterfinals, Panama in the semifinals, and reached the final against the biggest rivalries of all time: Mexico. I actually had to miss the final, but am pretty darn glad I did miss it, because it would have broken my heart into pieces. Just watching the highlights that lasted less that 10 minutes was bad enough. After taking a 2-0 lead in the 23rd minute by great goals from Bradley and Donovan, the US fell behind to a very much composed Mexican team. Final score, 2-4 to Mexico. My heart goes out to Lichaj, who was an inch away from saving the last goal, and Bradley, who had the perfect chance to score. If-only's once again, but the ball is round, and the game is over. Great effort from the guys though and I will forever be proud of my team. :)


Secondly, the U-17 World Cup which, sorry to say, I haven't been following very faithfully. The group stage is over and US have proceeded to the next round after a victory over Czech Republic, a lost to Uzbekistan (YES, I KNOW, UZBEKISTAN OMG.), and a tie against New Zealand. That left them tied at second place with New Zealand and lots were drawn to determine who would get second or third. They got second so they are now moving on to the knockout stage.


And finally, but definitely not last, and my biggest chance at USA actually winning something, the Woman's World Cup. It just kicked off yesterday, watched the first match between France and Nigeria, and really excited to watch the first match the USA play on Tuesday night against Korea PRK. I'm already planning that the US will reach the final. :) Just as a side-note: they've won the World Cup two times out of the five times it's been held and, according to FIFA, are ranked as number 1 in the world.

Other than those listed above, I still have the MLS and WPS to keep me occupied. Currently, I'm really impressed by Mike Magee and his heroic period in front of the goal as part-time debut goalkeeper for the Galaxy. Without a doubt, man of the match. :) Speaking of the Galaxy, David Beckham hasn't been playing recently because he's been having back spasms. That guy needs to retire.

No comments: