Monday, July 11, 2011

Too Good to be True

Yesterday's Women World Cup Quarterfinal match between USA and Brazil proved to be the most interesting, passionate, emotional, exciting, dramatic, breathtaking (the list could go on) match I have ever witnessed. And I've watched a million soccer matches. As Hope Solo put it, "Up and down, up and down. Emotional. I didn’t know if we were going to pull it out at the end." It had everything a soccer match could have, to say the least. Here's a list of what this match contained.. and my reactions:

(First things first, we're talking about Number One Ranked Team USA playing Number Three Ranked Team Brazil who also has five consecutive times FIFA Player of the Year Marta on their side.)


Early Goal - 2nd Minute
It is every team's dream to start off a match with an early goal. USA did precisely that - in the 2nd minute. It was so early that I even missed it, only arriving at my "mamak" store during the 4th minute of action.

Own Goal - 2nd Minute
Same goal, just a little twist to it: Brazilian defender Daiane scored the first goal for the USA after a brilliant cross by Shannon Boxx and a scramble in the box with her foot just pushing the ball over the line.

My reaction: OMG, I CAN'T BELIEVE I MISSED THE FIRST GOAL.


Red Card - 66th Minute
Yellow cards are a different story. But a straight red card, now that's a turn of events. Marta with her skill and speed is brought down in the box by center defender Rachel Beuhler. Penalty given.

Penalty Saved - 67th Minute
Brizillian player Cristiane steps up to take the penalty, but it's saved by Solo!!

My reaction: Okay so yes, I am boiling here because of the red card that was issued, but SOLO JUST SAVED THE PENALTY KICK. USA are still leading 1-0!

Penalty Retaken - 68th Minute
Apparently Hope Solo was off her line, and the referee signals for a retake. Solo argues (I would too, if I were her!) and is issued a yellow card. Penalty is retaken by Marta, who converts it. USA 1 - Brazil 1.

My reaction: By now I'm just going crazy. I mean, what is up with the referee?! I order a hot drink to calm myself down.


Extra Time
The game goes into extra time with the score tied at 1-1.


Controversial Goal - 94th Minute
In the second minute of extra time, Marta took a pass from Maurine, who was apparently offside, to convert a beautiful left-footed flick that bounced on the turf and off the right post before settling behind Solo to give Brazil a 2-1 advantage.

Time Wasted - 117th Minute
Brazilian player Erika falls after a corner kick and apparently cramps up. Stretcher is brought on and she is taken off the field. She suddenly gets off the stretcher like nothing is wrong and runs back onto the field. Referee shows her a yellow card for clearly wasting time.

My reaction: Okay so there's a big difference being clearly injured and wasting time, and she's clearly crossed the line. I mean seriously, play fair. By now, with only 3 minutes + of extra time remaining, I'm like hyperventilating. Breathe in, breathe out. Breathe in, breathe ouuutttt.


AND WAMBACH SCORES THE EQUALIZER! - 122nd Minute
You cannot write a script like this. Extra time has gone into injury time of three minutes. With only a minute remaining, Abby scores the latest goal in Women's World Cup history!! To put it in Ian Darke's commentary, "Rapinoe gets the cross in... it's towards Wambach... OOOOOHH CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!! Abby Wamback has saved the USA's life in this tournament!"

My reaction: I should have recorded this. I was just making a fool out of myself. The whole mamak store were probably staring at me, for all I cared. I said to my dad, "I knew they were going to score! I just knew it inside of me, but I was too scared to believe it. This is just too good to be true."

Penalty Shoot Out
You can imagine how happy the US are at this stage. Who cares if it's penalties and we haven't secured a W yet, at least we have a chance now! Brazil are probably still in shock that they let in that late goal.

... and Hope Solo is the USA's solo hope.

Shannon Boxx (USA) - GOAL
Cristiane (Brazil) - GOAL

Carli Lloyd (USA) - GOAL
Marta (Brazil) - GOAL

Abby Wambach (USA) - GOAL


Daiane (Brazil) - SAVED!

My reaction: YESSSSS! I love youu, Hope.


Megan Rapinoe (USA) - GOAL
Francielle (Brazil) - GOAL


My reaction: *pushes chair back and gets ready to jump up*

Ali Krieger (USA) - GOOAAALLLLLL!!


 


@mPinoe - I don't think the #wwc could have asked for a more exciting, edge of your seat, piss in your pants kind of football (than) these QF's! #beautifulgame

U.S. vs Brazil: This one should have left you cheering - Let's say you're one of those who wouldn't jump on soccer's bandwagon with a bazooka to your head. This one still should have moved you. Read More

And that, is the end of an amazing match. You can guess my reaction - I jumped up, screamed, and then after standing up for a while like a sore thumb in the middle of a mamak store (that obviously didn't share my enthusiasm, being 2:30am in the morning by then.), I sat back down and watched the players celebrate. :)

Credit to USA for fighting till the end and for playing brilliantly for an hour plus with only 10 women. Loved the team spirit and unity, the persistence, and the faith. Abby Wambach and Hope Solo are definitely the women of the match. Now, for the semifinals against France. This is your cup, USA. Go get 'em!

P/s. I am convinced that whoever criticizes the women's game of soccer should have watched this game, for it would have adjusted your mindset completely. Even my dad admitted it beat many a man's game in terms of excitement, passion, and drama. And he is one critic of women soccer hard to please.

No comments: