Thursday, July 26, 2012

Go For Gold!

So the Women Soccer Olympic games kicked off yesterday. It was such a great day of soccer, for various reasons. Before I get into that, welcome the 18 players that form the US squad!


I will declare you proficient in US Women knowledge if you can name me all 18 players and match them to their faces without the help of google. Trust me when I say I will be more than eager to train you in the subject of US Women soccer knowledge if you ever have an interest. I've already "trained" my dad and he is about as good as a US women soccer fan as I could make an old "all-men" sport sort of guy.

You can also go to www.ussoccer.com/Community/Downloads.aspx and get yourself all geared up to show some American spirit. I am, for sure, all geared up. I even made my own personalized Facebook profile picture, going with the same theme of GO FOR GOLD:


And if you ever question why I support the US Women in particular, this video should put you to ease. I mean, you cannot find a better team with more skill, character, and humor. To learn more about this team and the individual players, you can also go to their Youtube channel and watch all the videos you want!



Too much character in just those 3:23 minutes. Gotta love these women.

Finally, yesterday was such a great day because....

#o1. Tobin Heath, favorite US woman player, played an amazing game and gave an amazing assist. She also nutmeg'd quite a few France defenders. Also great seeing her nutmeg opponents. She talks more about that in this video."Everyone's always primed and ready to be nutmeg'd... you MAKE them ready!"

#o2. Michael Bradley, my favorite man player, had a great day with his new team, AS Roma. I was actually considering awhile back to attend the game between Roma and Liverpool since it actually took place in Boston at Fenway Park. Michael Bradley was the first one to get himself on the scoreboard with one of his great strikes... and believe it or not, Roma came away with a win!! Surprise, surprise. The world is catching up with the English Premier League. The world is also catching up with Europe. Today, the shocker was that the Japanese men's national team beat Spain.

#o3. The MLS All Star team consisting of some former glory with the likes of David Beckham and Thierry Henry and some new talent Chris Wondolowski, Landon Donovan, Jay DeMerit, Kyle Beckerman, and Eddie Johnson took on former Champions League winners Chelsea with Frank Lampard and John Terry. After a 91st minute goal from Johnson, the MLS All Star team came out with a 3-2 victory. What did I just say about the world catching up with the Premier League?!

#o4. Finally, and I shall end on this note, the best of all is that the US Women secured a win over France after being down 2-0 by the first 15 minutes of the game. Thank goodness for the best strikers in the world, Abby Wambach and Alex Morgan, that they emerged in a 4-2 victory. I don't support those women for no reason, they get the job done.

The next game is on Saturday, July 28th at noon (EST) broadcasted by NBCSports. If I haven't convinced you yet that this game is worth watching, I don't know what else to say.

No comments: