Monday, October 15, 2012

Family in Christ

Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art...
It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things
that give value to survival.
said C.S. Lewis

Why C.S. Lewis says art is unnecessary, I cannot fathom. I beg to differ. However, I do agree entirely with him when he states that friendship is something that gives value to survival. How true is that. Friends are what make life more interesting. Relationships are what make life more intricate.

The last few Sundays at church, we've been exploring Ephesians 4. We've been talking about the unity and diversity of the church. When I say church, I'm referring to the body of Christ, both locally and universally. We've talked about being humble and patient, gentle and enduring. We've gone through the basis of our unity: one body, one Spirit, one hope, one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one Father. Matthew, our pastor, then told us to go back and think about our relationships.

So I've been thinking. Thinking about the different circles of relationships I have. Whether it be within my blood related family, at college, in Malaysia, in Maine, within my church family, within other various circles. I've been especially thinking about any form of disunity that may exist in any of those relationships. Because I've realized something: disunity is really shallow and foolish. With my brothers and sisters in Christ, we share all those things I listed above - there are so many things as a basis for unity. With my other friends, there is something so much greater at stake - the urgency to make disciples - that why should I let some little disaccord break our unity?

I used to be a little five year old declaring "I'm no longer your friend." In elementary school, picking my one and only best friend. I used to be in middle school, sticking to my own beloved cliche. In high school, judging every single person I met. But wow, have I grown. I'm in college now, learning to put an end to my judgmental ways. Learning the true unity that Christ desires from me. Learning... and forming some of the greatest relationships with fellow believers that I've ever had.

So to those pictured above (and to others in my church family), thanks for being some of the greatest, spiritually mature friends I have ever had. For accepting me into your family, for building me up, for caring, and for maintaining the unity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Hazel! I just now found your blog today. It's SO good! Very professional, and really encouraging. Thank you so, so, so much for what you said about our friendship! I'm so thankful for you, too! That day that we went to the corn maze was really special - I remember being just overwhelmed with thankfulness on that night as well. It's absolutely incredible that we've been blessed with such amazing, mature Christian friends. Great job with your blog, friend! :)