Thursday, December 20, 2012

The Servant Girl

I found this as a draft that I had written a few months ago. Just a little insight and thought on this verse I had read back then.
--

"And as Peter knocked at the door of the gate, a girl named Rhoda came to answer. When she recognized Peter’s voice, because of her gladness she did not open the gate, but ran in and announced that Peter stood before the gate." Act 12:13-14

This was my Bible reading for the day. Of all verses to stand out, this less-than-significant verse popped out of the text. I thought it would be a good verse to break down and learn a few lessons from this servant girl, Rhoda.

#o1. First off, isn't it so funny that this servant girl was important enough to be included into these two verses, and even on a first-name basis! Just that simple acknowledgement of her existence tells me that God really does care about what would seem like an insignificant person in the world's eyes.

#o2. What faith! It says, "she recognized Peter's voice." No mention of her doubt, of any hesitation to question if it was really Peter (who should have been in prison) at the door. Just simple faith that is was possible that Peter was standing at the door.

#o3. It made me laugh to think that people in the Bible were also so filled with gladness and excitement that they do stupid things. Because I do that all the time. She was so excited she forgot to let Peter in!!

--
Imagine if we could learn this much from every single verse in the Bible!? And we can. I know that I've got a whole lot more learning to do! Have a blessed holiday season and strive to learn more about the Savior this special time of the year!

No comments: