Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year

I stand on the brink of the New Year, with 34 minutes and ticking before we date with a big twenty thirteen. Funny how when the clock ticks slowly (or quickly, whichever way you want to look at it – one of those half empty, half full scenarios) towards to the New Year is when you reflect on how life is going (particularly your own), your accomplishments, your failures, and your goals for the next year.

At church just yesterday, we were talking about our resolutions and how its nice to share your resolutions and have someone be accountable for them. My mind immediately went back to what I was aiming to achieve in 2012, exactly a year ago from this moment, when I was making THIS year’s (2012’s) resolution. Fortunately, I had them typed out as a note on my iPod Touch and could access them that very instance. Oh the wonders of technology. Here’s this years completed and uncompleted resolutions:
Okay so some aren’t as concrete as others. Some are pretty crazy like… put on weight. I mean, who says that. What more… who fails to ACHIEVE that.
Yea… I haven’t reached 100 pounds yet. :(

Before I get too caught up on next year and the things I can’t wait to accomplish then, I think it’s important for me to acknowledge all the things that I’ve really truly accomplished this year.

2012. I’ve not only increased my names-of-people-I-am-acquainted-with database, I’ve also formed some amazing new relationships. I found a great church to which I finally feel like I belong to. I’ve learned to stop judging. I’ve learned that love goes a far ways. It never hurts to ask for help. Playing American football is actually fun… to the point that it becomes a highlight in every single week. There ARE godly boys out there. I can create sculptures out of paper, foam, wire, and plaster of Paris. I learned how to do some pretty amazing renderings. I may have not gotten the scholarship I wanted, but I got two others instead. God works in mysterious ways. I turned eighteen. Had my first experience behind the driving wheel. Drove into a ditch. Learned how to drive stick (the later two events were at separate times). Grew some incredible heights in terms of style and fashion. Built some pretty sweet relationships with my professor, my boss, and a police officer. Learned I’m a pretty feisty petite individual. Learned how to skillfully use a circular saw, table saw, and power drill, along with others. Had some stressful days, schedule-wise, that turned out better than expected. Became more of a Southerner…. yes bring on the cowboy boots and flannels. Grew a few inches taller, with heels. Sprained an ankle. Went to health care three times, each time at the end of each three semesters I’ve had this academic year. Brought the definition of independence to another level. Learned to open up myself and become more vulnerable. Learned to not take things so personally. Got to know God better.

The list could go on but I just looked up and the clock reads 12:12.

You know what that means?

It’s bedtime.

Yea, that too but I meant….

Its 2013! Happy New Year, y’all!

No comments: